The common rat is the most common in the UK and is most reviled for spreading disease. Responsible for the spread of the bubonic plague and more recently leptospirosis (Weil’s Disease) among others, there are numbers estimated at 80-90million in the UK alone. Rats can cause damage to structures of buildings as well as to electrical systems and pipework as they gnaw anything and everything in order to combat the continuous growth of their teeth. Rat activity can be reasonably suspected should there be signs of droppings, gnawing, burrowing or greasy marks from their oily bodies.
Rats are very persistent creatures and will cause extensive damage, spread disease and contaminate food if not dealt with swiftly.
How to stop a Rat Infestation?
Do you have problems with damage from knawing to floorboards? Pipes? Doors? Or Floorboards? Have you found small dark droppings? If the answer is yes, then it’s likely you have a potential rat infestation. As rats are more active during the night most signs of rats will be discovered without actually seeing a rat. Here are some signs that you do have a rat problem.
– Rat Droppings look like a large grain of rice, spindle-shaped and brown in colour
– Rub Marks are left when their body comes into contact with surfaces and they leave smudges and streaks of grease.
– Gnaw Marks appear on cabling and wires on items in lofts and garages
– Rat Holes occur when digging for shelter and burrows systems
– Rat Nests usually appear in loft spaces where soft items can be shredded such as insulation and cardboard
– Footprints, look out for trails and tail marks in dusty areas of your property
GOT A PROBLEM WITH RATS? Call 07926 813121 now to discuss how we can help